Friday, April 20, 2012

A Culmination of Education

I had the opportunity to attend the BA Capstone exhibit in the Truman Art Gallery today. As I listened to the artists talk about their capstone experiences and artwork, I realized that the COMMference is really serving as a culmination of my communication education. Well all the projects and papers I have done have been interesting, fulfilling and important, the COMMference is real world stuff. Sara and I have dealt with press releases, alumni, current students, design, event planning, advertising, reaching different publics, etc. This event has put my entire public communication education to use.

As I looked around Barnett this week, I realized how excited I am for this event. I keep running into posters around Barnett and hearing people talk about the COMMference; the event is coming and we are ready! After all of the designing, planning, and working I am ready to meet all the alumni, sit back and enjoy the student's hard work and figure out what comes next in my future.

Seeing all of our long hours of planning play out on Saturday will be such a validation of my COMM education and my time at Truman. As a designer, seeing my posters hang around Barnett and being witness to the comments they receive is my validation. There is a little feeling of joy that pops when you get to step back and really see the product of hours of hard work. Its not a real feeling until you pick up the prints and start hanging them, then you realize that you have accomplished something.

I have had many other posters hanging for many other events, but in all honesty, I am so excited for this event. I want to see everyone's reactions to posters, I keep seeking them out (its like a miniature scavenger hunt, can I remember where we hung all the posters) and getting more excited. I hope the posters are causing everyone else to feel just as excited.

The COMMference is so close and it is crunch time for Sara and I. The text messages are flying back and forth reminding each other to finish all the tasks we have assigned to ourselves. I got my first text of the day from Sara yesterday at 9:00 AM, I can only assume that today's text will come even earlier. We have a list of things to complete, but are racing towards the finish and the COMMference.


See you on Saturday!

-Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment